Saturday, September 13, 2008

DIY should stand for "I'm a sucker for self-punishment"


I don't really care for blogs that have incessant whining in them. And yet, here I go. After several fruitless shopping trips for new ottomans, Mr. S and I decided to repurpose our current ones. The old ones had fabric that showed every little stain, the corners were coming through the fabric because the foam had receded, #1 has impaled himself on every hard edge, and they have no storage in them. I went to every store imaginable and either the ottomans were the wrong size or had no storage and all of them were crazy expensive. So I took a large foam mattress pad I bought at a garage sale and cut it to fit our old ottomans to give them extra padding. This went well except my beloved staple gun decided to die a slow death. You can get 2 staples in and then you have to wait 20 minutes until you can do it again. Mr. S made some hidden doors for the bottom of the ottomans so now we can use the hollow interior for storage- which actually turned out surprisingly well. Next I went fabric shopping. I don't know what it is about this town, but I can never find the kind of fabric I'm looking for. The stuff I did find is $40 a yard!?!! Bleh. I managed to score some fabric at a garage sale, but it's not really what I wanted. The only upside is it was practically free- I guess beggars can't be choosers. Today I proceeded to try and finish the project by fitting the fabric, but my serger's threads went wacky and I can't figure out how to rethread them. After deciding to forego the serging, I went to the sewing machine and that also went crazy. I came to the conclusion that I should just take a break only to discover Rowan with some pliers proceeding to rip up the new foam I had just put on. I really should have just bought new ones at this point. Maybe if I go wave a white flag and cry, they'll just reupholster themselves.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I want to kill myself everytime I start a "project."

vesta said...

DIY means "I think I can make better than store bought for half the price but I forgot I have kids so its is going to take me a few years to finish and I will probably wind up just going to Wally mart"

Bleen said...

LOL!! So true... this is why I will never buy a fixer-upper. Or an older house even though I love them...