Thursday, September 23, 2010

Wanted: A Chill Pill

Everytime I go to Facebook all I want to put as my status is "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" Steve and I need better stress management techniques. It seems like more often than not I'll wake up in the middle of the night and find him missing because he can't sleep. The other day we had a date night and at one point in the conversation we looked at each other and said "Let's talk about something OTHER than our current job search!" 10 minutes of silence ensued and then we started talking about it again. Where will we go, what is our top pick, where would we not want to go, what are the dangers of living in a border town (you never know when those crazy Canadians will invade and they expect you to say "eh" all the time...sheesh), would a pregnancy transfer to new insurance (not an announcement), why we cringe about living in Utah, will we be able to buy a decent home, what are the schools like, what if we don't get anything at all....the list goes on. I'm as close to an anxiety attack as I ever want to be- uncertainty does not agree with me.

We have both agreed on our top pick, but I probably shouldn't put it out there in case we jinx ourselves. My constant prayer is that the Lord will help us to go to a place where our family can thrive, but perhaps my idea and His idea of "thriving" are different. I wish I could put this out of my mind until we have options with which to make a choice. I just haven't been faced with a situation where I could be living in 35+ different places in as little as 9 months. Bleh.

Favorite Job Search Quote: "BYU...it's better than Mexico."*

*Don't get me wrong- we both went to BYU and it's actually pretty high on our list. I'm just not sure I'd be happy there- we'll see.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to put a little plug in for Utah. I used to think that I wanted to get OUT of Utah - and I'm still not opposed to it. But it's pretty unfair to base expectations of Utah on Provo. Provo is its own little world. Although I haven't lived in Salt Lake too long, I'm thinking it's pretty cool. Depending where you live, I hear the members can be pretty perfectionistic, but I think it's a matter of location. There's so much to do here and so many restaurants to explore. The library system is pretty comparable to Champaigns and they have pretty amazing bakeries and ice cream shops. Granted, SLC is probably the only cool place to live in Utah, but if you can find an opening at UofU, it would be pretty sweet.

Bleen said...

In all fairness, I'm not basing Utah on Provo. I've known a lot of people who lived in other areas (my sister and a lot of close friends). In Canada, I lived in areas where I've been the only LDS person and other areas where the town pretty representative of Utah. I've never been happy in highly concentrated LDS areas. That's not to say that couldn't change though. Anyways, BYU is the only Utah based job that Steve has come across.

The Walch Family said...

Let's just say that there are many worlds in Provo. It's several different towns all put into one. The area around BYU is more traditionally how people think of Provo. Our side is totally blue collar and is not full of members. You can find all sorts of different places to live in Provo. (Not that you'd want to, but it's a varied place.)

Anonymous said...

Oh! Good luck. St. Louis is nice, we like it and then you won't have to change your blog title. HOME IS WHERE THE FAMILY IS. Your kids know that, how 'bout you? Besides, every area where Steve would be working will have a school district you can be happy with. These are all things I'm sure you've told yourselves countless times. Happy waiting, it'll be over soon. Good post.

Crys said...

I know...I need to chill as well. Such a pain!

Bleen said...

Amy- I wish that I could find a good school district anywhere we applied! But when the median home price in some areas are $500,000 to $1,000,000 and you don't make nearly that much, you get forced to live in the ghetto. There's been some other areas where Rowan would be a minority no matter where we lived and I worry about that making him a target. Some cities score a 3 out of 100 in terms of crime and if you don't lived in a gated community with bars on the windows, you're hosed. Thankfully there hasn't been many openings where that is the case, but if that's all we can get... Again, I need a chill pill.

Jessica Bybee said...

Uncertainty in life is always there..."What if's" but this is a hard time and very stressful for you guys. That last year of grad school was the worst but when it is over and you are where the Lord wants you to be, you will look back and wish you enjoyed your last days more and not stressed about the future--- at least that is how I feel now. If I was telling this to myself when I was in the last year of grad school, I would of rolled my eyes at myself. So you can roll your eyes at me! :)

Katie Kerr Wrede said...

Here's a word or two from someone who just moved across the country before securing a new job which must be done on three months :) --1) It is possible to be happy in Utah; and 2) God knows where the "right" place is for you and your family. And by right, I mean fantastic and fabulous. And . . . perfect.

Now get some sleep before the new baby comes! hahahahha

Katie said...

Holy crap. I have anxiety for you. I hope you know something soon. Then you can start worrying about all other other things ... like having 3 kids. LOL