It worked really well and is definitely something I'd recommend to anyone in charge of a Pinewood Derby. We also wanted to contribute to the refreshments, so I made close to a hundred homemade donuts. It took two deep cleans to get my kitchen back to normal again. But it was refreshing to feel like I could support Steve in his calling after I have depended (and still do) so much on him while I try to navigate Sunday School. But it was REALLY exhausting and I think we were both so relieved when everything was over. Steve did a great job MCing the event and I think everyone had a good time. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so I didn't get any pictures of him in action. The pictures here are from a friend.
Saturday, May 26, 2012
Pinewood Derby
Steve's calling right now is Cubmaster in our ward. It's been a new experience for him since he's been in Sunday School for so long, which has been interesting for me to see him challenged rather than comfortable. Pinewood Derby came up last month and it was definitely a stretch to get things ready in time. The ramp that our ward uses is over 20 years old and was so full of nicks and gouges that one side consistently was slower than the other. I wish I had taken a before picture! Two days before the Derby, we took the ramp home and Steve employed his belt sander on the ramp to get it in shape. After he did a lot of sanding and utilizing some wood putty, I painted the ramp black and got some white duct tape to use as a road lines to divide the two lanes. I also read online that sometimes the local traffic department will lend out traffic cones to events like this for free. So I picked up 20 cones from the Irmo City Hall and scrubbed them out (they were pretty filthy) and we used them with caution tape strung up between them to create a barrier between the little kids and the ramp.
It worked really well and is definitely something I'd recommend to anyone in charge of a Pinewood Derby. We also wanted to contribute to the refreshments, so I made close to a hundred homemade donuts. It took two deep cleans to get my kitchen back to normal again. But it was refreshing to feel like I could support Steve in his calling after I have depended (and still do) so much on him while I try to navigate Sunday School. But it was REALLY exhausting and I think we were both so relieved when everything was over. Steve did a great job MCing the event and I think everyone had a good time. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so I didn't get any pictures of him in action. The pictures here are from a friend.


It worked really well and is definitely something I'd recommend to anyone in charge of a Pinewood Derby. We also wanted to contribute to the refreshments, so I made close to a hundred homemade donuts. It took two deep cleans to get my kitchen back to normal again. But it was refreshing to feel like I could support Steve in his calling after I have depended (and still do) so much on him while I try to navigate Sunday School. But it was REALLY exhausting and I think we were both so relieved when everything was over. Steve did a great job MCing the event and I think everyone had a good time. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so I didn't get any pictures of him in action. The pictures here are from a friend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment