Friday, October 31, 2008

Peter Pumpkin Eater

It seems we have started a tradition around Halloween. We get 2 of the biggest pumpkins we can find and delegate one as the "pie" pumpkin and the other as our jack-o-lantern. Steve and Rowan get pumpkin gut and carving duty, while I boil, puree and freeze fresh pumpkin to last us throughout the year. I grew up with fresh pumpkin in pies and I just can't get a taste for canned pumpkin. If you've never tried fresh pumpkin in pies, cookies, or bread you should definitely give it a shot. It tastes SO much better! So anyways, here are some pictures of our Pumpkin Day. I was tempted to take a picture of my kitchen when I was done freezing my pumpkin, but it was pretty scary. Definitely worth it though- we made four pumpkin pies the next day!



Dad carved while Rowan drew on the pumpkin and himself (washable markers thank goodness).


Arrrrrrr... Rowan wanted a pirate pumpkin this year.


Hello eyelashes! I hope baby girl gets them too.

3 comments:

Candice McWhorter said...

you've got some mad carving skilz

The Walch Family said...

I've never been a big pie maker (I hate pie crust), but if I did make pies, I would probably go the canned rather than the fresh route. Kudos to you for being ambitious enough to make the pies from a REAL pumpkin! Does it taste any better or different when it's from a fresh pumpkin?

Candice McWhorter said...

do you remember when we were roomies and you made those delicious brownies with the frosting?
I'm soooo craving them lately. Could I beg you for the recipe?