Sunday, July 4, 2010

Drive In Time!!

I haven't been to a drive-in movie theater since I was a kid. Steve has never even been. So when we had an opportunity to go with a bunch of people from church, we jumped at the chance. I don't know why drive-in theaters are going extinct. Personally, I prefer this method of entertainment over the recent craze in 3D, which tends to make me feel slightly nauseous.

It was a perfect day, perfect weather and great company. Nadia had been having some late nights due to teething, so we lucked out in that she had taken a really late nap. The movie didn't start until 9pm and we ended up not getting home until close to midnight.

Before the movie started, families were playing with balls and running around in the front of the screen. It was a rather happy innocent scene.

Our Mormon Row

Once it got closer to showtime, several families in our group pulled out their air mattresses and lined up at the front. Back in the day when our family went to the drive-in, we stayed in the car, listening to the tinny radio that you hooked onto your window. I think I preferred watching the movie outside, relaxing in our lawn chairs and enjoying the night sky.

Adding to the vintage feel of the establishment, they had a 1940s carousel ride by the concessions that the children could ride for free. Nadia LOVED riding this and I had to literally pry her off kicking and screaming. She kept saying "NEIGH" as we rode it- too cute.


Even Rowan got in on the action.



We enjoyed caramel popcorn while we waited for the movie to start. When I say we, I mean mostly Nadia. Apparently, it's all the rage in her generation.


As the sun was just about to set, we pulled out the lightstick necklaces for the kids so we could keep track of them.

It was a great evening, enjoyed with great friends. And the movie? Toy Story 3. The kids were riveted and Rowan is still telling everyone about the scary monkey. He died laughing about Mr. Tortilla Head. It was the cherry on top and a big one at that.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I LOVE the drive-in! There's one here in SLC that we go to .. not nearly enough, though. So fun!