http://icandyhandmade.blogspot.com/2011/08/tutorial-extender-slip.html
Me too. I have a few maternity dresses that are just a tad too short and I haven't been getting much use out of them as a result. Not to mention what happens when you have a toddler climbing all over your lap when you sit down. The extender slip was just what I needed! So I picked up a cheap slip at Walmart for $4 and went from there to a fabric store to pick up the wide trim I would need to finish it off. It seems like it's nearly impossible to find trim that wide, at least in this town. What I could find either was too see through, too lacy (I didn't want it to look like an actual slip falling down), or too expensive. So I went to Marshall's hoping I could alter something there.
Bingo.
It's was the right color, not too lacy, not see through, and $9.99. Sold! I wasn't sure how I would fix it to work as a slip though. At first I thought I would just cut the trim off and attach to my Walmart slip I bought. But then I would have to reattach the lining underneath so it wouldn't be see through and that might actually start requiring real effort. Surprisingly, I could get the size 8 dress up over my pregnant self to work as a slip without feeling like my blood supply was being cut off. Thank you elasticized back panel.
So I got rid of this: (I have enough bumps on my body as it is thank you)
And got this:
The only downfall of these slips is they look strange, to me at least, paired with most other patterns. So for the time being, I'll just be using it for solid skirts and dresses, but I plan to still utilize the slip I bought and make a solid extender slip like you see here for the skirts and dresses that clash with the lace: http://www.vintagehem.com/
They have some really cute ones with just a plain strip of fabric that would be really easy to whip up and I won't be out $30. Score!
4 comments:
Nice Rachel...now do you want to make me one :)
If you go to Marshall's, buy one, and ship it to me, I'll happily cut the top off for you. :) I actually bought the last dress otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the size 8 to fit over my pregnant behind!
So fun! I think it is kind of funny that slips are now "back in." I remember when I was in college I had roommates who had never seen or heard of a slip. What's next on the horizon of let's make it cool again..nylons?
Sweet!! I got 5 inches of fabric and sewed it onto the bottom of one maternity dress. I have another non-maternity dress I just wear a plain black skirt under (no one has noticed)
Always love more modest, creative ideas!
Post a Comment