Friday, September 19, 2014

Throwing a Wrench in the Works

I've been in a little derelict in finishing up my posts before the baby comes.  Honestly, I've been a little derelict in just about everything.  In my defense, there has been good excuses, but that doesn't change the fact that my to-do list is spilling over.

Steve came down with appendicitis over the weekend and on Monday he had his appendix removed.  All in all, it was a fairly straightforward procedure, but now there are two adults who are severely impaired in their ability to get stuff done and three kids who are intent on creating more and more things to do.  For example, our freezer was in desperate need of being defrosted as I could hardly fit any packages from Costco in there anymore.  Maybe that doesn't seem like a huge deal until you consider that Costco is our main food supply at this point in time.  I thought it would be a fairly easy task for me to do.  Not a lot of bending or strenuous lifting involved, just standing there with a blow dryer.  What I didn't count on was Elsa snatching some Popsicles, unbeknowst to me and leaking them all over the couch and floor.  Suddenly steam cleaning the couch and washing the floor hit my list.  I don't think I've made an actual dinner in weeks.  It's not like all that will change once the baby comes, but I am looking forward to being able to bend over without asphyxiating myself.

He's hamming it up here, which is possible because of the drugs they had him on.  He wasn't so jovial the night before when he was laying on our bedroom floor praying for relief.  At 5am he drove himself to the ER since someone had to stay with the kids and I joined him later when they decided to take him into surgery.  Thankfully Krystal and a friend were able to take over child care duty so I could be there.
 I don't think I've ever seen Steve on heavy medication.  Maybe it was the drugs or the fact that he got no sleep the other night before, but he was so tired.  Poor guy.  I kept trying to encourage him to wake up so we could get out of there and go home.  Those hospital chairs were killing me with my back still being out and I was worried about overextending our babysitter. 
The doctor said Steve's gall bladder also looks to be in bad shape, so we may be in for a return visit in the not too distant future.  I was a little annoyed that they just didn't take it out there and then so we wouldn't have to go through this all over again, but I'm not the doctor.  Hopefully we can just get through our next medical hurdle (aka the baby) before we have to address that issue.

The positive notes are that this did happen before the baby came.  I was worried while Steve was out on the floor in pain that I would go into labor while all this was going down.  We were also blessed to have a family member and friend who could chip in and help on a last minute's notice.  Steve also was able to take care of the problem before his appendix ruptured which has allowed for a quicker recovery.  We have health insurance and live in a place where medical help is readily available.  So we have been blessed despite the fact that I feel like we're drowning some days.  Speaking of which, I better get cracking on that to do list.

No comments: