Sunday, May 25, 2008

Grandma and Grandpa

We had a whirlwind of fun when Grandma and Grandpa came out to visit this past week. Somehow it was relaxing at the same time too- possibly to do with eating out practically every meal! It has been interesting to watch Rowan's relationships with his grandparents evolve. I didn't really have a relationship with any biological grandparent, although I did have adopted ones that I visited semi-regularly. Rowan has been so blessed to have such a loving and doting relationship with every one of his grandparents. It doesn't take him long to warm up to them and for the first time he expressed his dismay at their departure. "you know Rowan, Grandma and Grandpa are leaving tomorrow" "Yeah and I will be SAD" The willingness to hug and kiss was surprisingly consistent and new too.

The zoo, library, parks, Amishland, and too many restaurants to count were only some of the festivities enjoyed. We were sad to see them go, but it was so nice to have them come.

It's always easy to warm up to someone when they come bearing gifts! Rowan loves his rubber boots and new shirts.


Apparently I consistently placed Grandpa in the sun. A lot of the pictures have this expression!



Look Ma, some more flowers! Sadly most of the flowers weren't in bloom due to this darn global warming.



Rowan's gotten this thing for sticking his hands into his pockets. Thus the influx of rocks and other questionable things in our laundry.



We've got a lovely bunch of bread sticks- some the size of your head! Can you believe we got 2 bushels of these things?! Go easy at this restaurant- they want to give you a coronary! Good thing we had appetizers because we waited an hour for the pizza. Excessive? I think so, but it's so good...



We sludged through the mud to find this sculpture at the park. I was the only one who had the foresight to wear sandals. Rowan encouraged (insisted) that we press on and I'm glad he did.





And some more pictures...






There was a cool little pathway in these hedges that provided a fun route for Rowan. While I am grateful that Rowan understands the concept of "cheese!" he tends to overextend his expression to the point that he closes his eyes. Cute, but I like his baby blues!




The zoo was really incredible- so were the prices ($1 for giraffe food? $6 for a stroller?) but I guess it goes to a good cause. It was a gorgeous day and we had a lot of fun. I think Rowan enjoyed the dolphins and the "touch a shark" exhibit the best. Apparently he's into the ocean- Finding Nemo is still his favorite movie. If only there were tractors in the ocean, a perfect meeting of both worlds.

The seals were so cute- totally basking in the sun.




The problem with taking pictures at the zoo is you constantly get pictures of the back of people's heads. Luckily we got some frontal pictures. FYI the endangered madagascars in the following pictures were the most foul smelling things ever. I think the world would be better without them. I get nauseous just thinking about it.




This is what happens when you take a picture while you are in a underwater room looking at dolphins.


One of my favorites. Love his expression.



Rowan got to watch an elephant taking a bath. Mom took down notes about techniques for bathing someone with a hose.




Are you starting to notice my absence in pictures yet? This is a perpetual problem. If I tell hubbie he is in charge of taking pictures, it just doesn't happen. So I am left with self-portraits taken by moi. Pretty sad. But here's proof I was there too. I swear I'm not an absentee mom.



The Touch a Shark exhibit. A big hit. Grandpa looks pretty hungry in one of these- perhaps shark burgers were all the rage on his mission to Hawaii. I think Rowan actually touched one of the sharks.



See video #3 and #4


2 comments:

vesta said...

awww fun! we actually went to the zoo too except the majority of the time we chased Payton around the entire zoo. the only time I got to relax and enjoy myself was at the end on the train ride. i think it was the first time that day that i actually got within half a foot of Randy's presence. Kids took a 3 hr nap that day... ahhhh

Katie said...

What a fun vacation with Grandma and Grandpa!

It must be a 2 year old thing - cause Jackson's hands are always in his pockets - along with rocks, money he finds on the ground, etc .. :)

Illinois looks like a wonderful, green place!