Thursday, October 2, 2008

Oh Canada...

Things are in a bit of a flurry here while we try to get ready for our trip to Canada. Mr. S is working hard with all the experiments he has going on and I'm trying to finish up as much schoolwork as I can before we leave. #1 is very excited to go, although we have had a few "What is Canada?" moments. I apparently have not educated him very well on the wonders of my infinitely superior homeland (barring a few minor details like government policies and so forth).

The ottomans and some new couch pillows are finally finished after many frustrating moments. I finally understand why people use muslin fabric to create a pattern or prototype before they start hacking into the intended fabric. The fabric I initially was going to use was working out fine and I had finished one ottoman, only to discover I was 2 inches shy of fabric needed to complete the other one due to poor judgement and cuts on my behalf. Long story short, the ottomans are now done with different fabric and so am I. All in all I got acquainted with using a serger and my new sewing machine and I ended up with exactly what I wanted- 2 square ottomans with storage inside and removable solid covers. But next time I will seriously consider just shelling out the money to buy them.


Coming back from the library today, #1 insisted that we pull out the luggage, presumably to start packing. Apparently he had different intentions...




I've decided for Christmas I want a new camera. If I turn off the flash on this one, the picture is inevitably blurry and it's become quite frustrating. I'm discovering the hard way that electronics (laptops, cameras etc) are really just not areas to skimp on.

Anyways, after #1 packed himself he decided he would play for the next 30 minutes. This kid has the best imagination and I am so grateful that I do not have to provide activities for him 24/7. Not to mention it's pretty entertaining. Here's a little video of what ensued during those 30 minutes.



More will be forthcoming after we get back from the land of poutine, glorious candy bars, wide open spaces, and a plethora of other things that I've missed so much. I want to cry just thinking about it- I love you Canada.

4 comments:

vesta said...

my kids don't even know what a garage sale is. They do know what the "store" is. wow, rach you must garage sale alot.

Bleen said...

He just knows that all his toys come from garage sales. So he thinks of them essentially as toy stores.

Katie said...

Love the ottomans! They look amazing!

And when they announced the new temple in Calgary at conference, I totally thought of you! :)

Angela said...

Have fun in Canada...I still wish I were going with you. My poor Potato land is not doing it for me lately. It's been quite boring here.