Last night we went to our ward Christmas party and Rowan was very excited to see Santa. Once again, crowds weren't his thing so we were among the last to sit on Santa's lap. Rowan has a competitive nature with us and his close friends, but when it comes to strangers his ability to act boldly quickly dissipates. Ultimately, I'm fine with his cautious nature because I wouldn't want to have the child that is tackling his way to the front of a line. Rowan and his friend both felt a little braver by going together to sit on Santa's lap this year. I had prepped Rowan by telling him he had to tell Santa what he wanted for Christmas or else he'd just have to hope that Santa would guess correctly. When Santa asked what these two cuties wanted it was like the flood gates opened and no one could get a word in edgewise. After they stopped talking at the same time, Rowan's friend asked for a fire helicopter and Rowan asked for a police helicopter. Two very different things, I assure you. I think they were just feeding off what each other was saying, although Rowan has been focused on "fire toys" as he puts it. It isn't enough that he already has plenty, he's an addict.

See video #23
Not much else is new here. I've been feeling a little guilty about not doing as much this holiday season with Rowan, like crafts or cooking. Making family traditions really isn't something I feel capable of doing right now. I realized though the other day that sometimes these things just happen on their own volition. We've started a tradition over the past few months in the mornings where Rowan will crawl into our bed and snuggle while we discuss what we dreamed the night before. Rowan usually initiates by asking us what we dreamed about and then we in turn get to hear what went through our three year old's mind for the past 12 hours. There seems to be reoccurring themes such as caves with lions and bears or "nice monsters." One of my favorites the other day though was about a silo crying. I know this tradition probably won't continue as it would be inappropriate for our twelve year old son to hop into bed and snuggle with us in the mornings, but for now it has become one of my favorite moments of the day.
2 comments:
Didn't you crawl into my parents bed with me one night....??? You are never too old to go into your parents bed...never. HA HA!! I think Cory once went in my parents bed too. Awkward.
We all have our fingers crossed for an easy delivery. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have a full grown baby pushing around inside me. By now, there's probably not much room, so I hope she is behaving herself.
You're very smart about the traditions. I think some of the best ones just come naturally.
Post a Comment