Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Design on a Dime

We're back! Something about coming back from a long trip and having a lot of photos to catalog makes me not want to blog. Too much to write! Instead of doing what I should, I'm going to procrastinate by showing you my latest project. If you've ever seen that show on HGTV called "Design on a Dime" you may be like me and think "$1000! I could do SO much more with that!" They build TV cabinets for $200 and I usually find myself thinking "I could totally get something nicer on craigslist for that amount of money." Anyways, for the next two weeks I plan to do a "design on a dime," emphasis being on the dime. I saw this bedroom featured recently on HGTV.com (can you tell I wish I had cable sometimes?) and I'm kind of in love with it. I love color, so it kind of took me by surprise, but I thought it would look great in our guest room. Seeing as how we will have guests in 2 weeks, I decided to go for it and try to get the majority of it done before they arrive. Crazy? Most certainly. I'll be lucky if I get even close, but this will be good motivation nonetheless. So here's the before picture. It kind of reminds me of those makeover pictures where they have the person in bad lighting, with no makeup, drooling- anything to make it look like they can go no where but up. Sure I could have put the luggage away, but considering what little time I have, I need to be able to make this room as ugly as possible so it will look like I've done a lot by the time 2 weeks are up.


And the dream room- I won't even come close, but this is the desired effect anyways.




Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Amber said...

Ooooh I'm excited to see your results! I LOVE that bedding set. I enjoy color but I really like to decorate in black and white with color accents. So I'm always on the look out for a bedding set like that that I can afford. Unfortunately in the 6 years I've been looking I still haven't found one that's in my budget range. Good luck!!

Nathan said...

It was great to see you out here, and I hope your flight home was okay.

Good luck on the guest room!

Bleen said...

Amber,

I've searched high and low for bedding. If you are interested, Target has a gorgeous bed in the bag- queen was $130ish. Too high for me and they didn't carry twin though. http://www.target.com/Waverly-Home-Madison-Bedding-Collection/dp/B001H8FZCC/ref=sc_qi_collection_item?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_r=12SDGMN45XQG5ATMXGRD&pf_rd_p=444377901&pf_rd_i=5205&pf_rd_s=right-3&pf_rd_m=A1VC38T7YXB528&pf_rd_t=5201 Ikea had a really nice duvet cover (you can just stick your old blacket inside too) for $12.99 twin- queen was more but very reasonable, I think it was $40ish. I was unable to get the twin because they were out of stock. Ikea has a lot of black and white this season, but I still like the Target one best- plus it came with everything. Walmart had some too, but I wasn't into any of them. Worth a look though- black and white/cream apparently are pretty popular right now.

Jessica Bybee said...

How fun! I can't wait to see it!!!

Janna said...

Hurry!! I can't wait to see it!

Aislin said...

Go you!