Friday, January 21, 2011

Eating an Elephant One Bite at a Time

The problem with having so many things to celebrate in such a short period is that you don't feel like blogging about it when it's all said and done. So I'm going to try and do one post a day starting with the most recent celebration. My birthday.

I'm starting to feel a bit flustered by how I've suddenly become older. 29 isn't old, but I'm amazed at how much my life has transitioned over the past decade. Marriage, kids, grad school, church callings, and just life in general have all culminated to make me feel like I'm no spring chicken anymore. I'm so ready for the next step (owning a house, having my husband out of school, and having my kids in school, 401Ks, etc), but I'm also acutely aware that these steps are things I've always considered to be something an older person does. I'm feeling a bit unprepared for that kind of maturity.

Enough musing. My husband discovered a store where he can pretty much get anything and I will love it. Just in time for us to (hopefully) move. Ten Thousand Villages has the best jewerly, home decor, and knick knacks, not to mention the fact that you are supporting a wonderful cause while purchasing things there. They are online too, if you want to check them out. Anyways, Steve saw that they were having a sale and came home with the most beautiful collection of earrings. I haven't really owned many earrings that I love, but I love all of them!

The weekend before my birthday, I was able to celebrate by going with some girlfriends to see Wicked in Chicago. We ate fondue at Geja's Cafe, saw the play, stayed overnight at a nice hotel, went shopping at Ikea the next day, and ate at a local restaurant when we got back. It was perfection. The play was incredible and it was so great to have some girl time without kids in the background. I'm so grateful to know these women and be able to have this opportunity before any of us move away.

Left to Right: Julie Nye, Brenda Price, Tina Stone, Lori Franz, Me, Kristyn Anderson, Linda Hobson, Erika Jones

Cadillac Palace was GORGEOUS! I should of taken more pictures of the surroundings, but all I got was this quick snap of the ceiling and the stage. I didn't know much about the music or the storyline prior to going and I'm glad I didn't go in with any expectations. Everything from the costumes to the set changes to the story was so entralling. Loved it!



Geja's Cafe was also an amazing experience. It's a very dimly lit restaurant so not many pictures turned out, but the atmosphere was very different. It almost felt like a place the mafia would go, but in a good way. We had fruit and bread with cheese fondue for an appetizer and then everyone had their individual meats with veggies that we cooked in oil and dipped in a wide array of sauces. Then we had chocolate fondue with more fruit, pound cake, marshmellows that you could garnish with graham cracker crumbs. I always see fondue pots at garage sales and this summer I will be sure to pick one up.



I loved that we were all able to travel in the same vehicle on the way up and enjoy each other's company. It was just nice to relax, talk and laugh about silly things like what people buy on Amazon. :) I'm definitely committed to getting an 8 passenger minivan when the time comes. So fun!!

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Oh how fun! I was so jealous when I heard about that weekend. Looks like it was amazing!!!

Bleen said...

You should do a Mahomet Ward girls' trip Shelly! I'm sure there'd be plenty who'd like to go.

Jessica Bybee said...

I am so glad you had fun! Wicked was so good! The fondue place looks yummy! I want to try it!