Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Columbian Adventures

After our Charleston vacation we headed home to Columbia. We did some shopping and hung out mostly. Grandma treated Nadia to her first experience with nail polish and Nadia LOVES it. I'd been holding off since I'd heard too many nail polish spill stories, but now it's a special treat we do quite often.




Mom and I went garage saling and she promised Steve before she left that she wouldn't get anything big. So she bought this.


I guess the rationale was that it deflates. I caught them at the end of their hopping in this video, but they've been enjoying it quite a bit. At the bus stop today, we were easily identified as the "people with the trampoline house."


Merry Christmas kids. (I do wish Christmas was in the summer. It would work so much better and not just because of garage sales) My mom also got a brand new serger for $5. Awesome.

On Sunday Rowan was in charge of saying prayer in Primary. We have not had success in getting him to do it yet, so Grandma decided to add a little extra incentive by promising Rowan she would get him a toy he's been wanting for close to a year, if he'd get up and do it. I was teaching my first week of Sunday school and Steve was busy with getting Nadia to nursery, so Grandma accompanied him that day. He was determined to do it. Needless to say, Rowan went up there with Grandma and she said she felt him immediately stiffen with fear and start to cry. And then Grandma began to cry with him. They were quite the pair up there. Apparently my mom didn't think that his avoidance of public speaking was due to fear, but more of just an act of defiance. When she felt his little body, petrified in front of all the kids, her empathy got the better of her. Anyways, Rowan is going to try again (he still really wants that toy) and I hope he will continue to try to do things even when they are frightening.

Speaking of things that are frightening, I've determined Sunday School one of the hardest callings I have ever received. I spent most of the first weekend crying over it, but it's steadily getting better. My son and I are too much alike. It's so difficult to fail at something in front of someone you love who excels at it. Talk about humbling. I don't think I'm really failing and I've gotten enough compliments that I must be doing okay, but I am definitely my own worst critic. It's too easy to look back and think what I could have done better. But I'm learning a lot and even got a nice letter today from someone in the ward who said that I'm "opening up the scriptures" for her. She must of been prompted to send it because I need all the positive reinforcement I can get.

Monday we had s'mores for FHE. It was almost a crime to have a fire in that heat, but Rowan LOVED it.





While my mom was here we checked out the local zoo. There was a heat advisory later in the day (as usual) so we tried to pack in as much as we could in the morning before it became unbearable. Can I just say the closer we get to fall the happier I am?


Here's where we tried to walk to the botanical gardens with a boy who determinedly wore shoes that ended up giving him blisters. He ended up going around in his socks. When we reached the end of the bridge and saw the massive hill we'd have to go up, we decided to go back. Then we found a trolley train that would take you there for free. Not our brightest moment.

Nadia was enthralled with the lions and the giraffes. Rowan just wanted to see the zebras.




Grandma and I were enthralled with the botanical gardens. It was AMAZING and sadly the pictures don't do it justice.








More spoiling from Grandma.




I miss you mom.

No comments: