Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Leaving on a Jet Plane

We took mom back to Charleston to take her flight home. This time we got the hotel by the factory outlet stores. Steve came with us and took Rowan to the USS Yorktown. At first I was a little apprehensive about Rowan going because he likes to complain about having to walk around a lot. Plus we weren't sure if it was air conditioned and it was a hot day. But he promised me he would be good, so we dropped them off and the girls went shopping.

USS YORKTOWN (Yes I totally cut and pasted the following- I'm no US History buff)
The USS Yorktown (CV-10) was the tenth aircraft carrier to serve in the United States Navy. Under construction as Bon Homme Richard, this new Essex-class carrier was renamed Yorktown in honor of Yorktown (CV-5), sunk at the epic Battle of Midway (June 1942). Built in an amazing 16 ½ months at Newport News, Virginia, Yorktown was commissioned on April 15, 1943. Yorktown participated significantly in the Pacific Offensive that began in late 1943 and ended with the defeat of Japan in 1945. Yorktown received the Presidential Unit Citation and earned 11 battle stars for service in World War II.










Rowan did not drag his feet. Apparently it was quite the opposite. He could barely stay still. Needless to say, I think they both really enjoyed themselves. And I really enjoyed the Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, and Nine West outlet stores. To each his own.

Later on we had a little feast in our hotel room. I bought a key lime pie and then later after we had gone home, I made a key lime pie. This doesn't take into account the key lime pie I had when we had made our first trip. I'm kind of a fan.


This amazing hotel had a great pool, a huge room with a full kitchen, and they served you breakfast and dinner for free with a shuttle that took mom to the airport. $50- I love you Priceline.

In the morning we got ready and went to the beach. Steve hadn't been yet and I got a boogie board at Salvation Army that Rowan was excited to try. It was again a beautiful day and this time there were dolphins swimming not 30 feet away from us. Amazing.





The waves were the most gentle I'd seen them and so Rowan didn't get as far with the board, but he played with it the entire time we were there.


Nadia lost her hair clip so I had to improvise.


I wish I had gotten a picture of the dolphins and Rowan running away in terror. I can never let that kid watch Jaws if we want to continue our excursions to the beach.

No comments: