Thursday, April 19, 2012

Scenes of strawberries, across crisp farmland


Strawberry season is here in SC! I bought a pressure cooker a little while ago from a garage sale and decided to embark on the adventure of canning. Little did I know, pressure cooking is mostly used to can meats, but it worked out fine in the end as the one I purchased could also be used in a water bath method. So Nadia and I hit the road early one morning to go to a local farm and get some strawberries for jam.

The fields were packed with beautiful red strawberries!  I didn't even have to supervise what kind of berries Nadia was putting in her bucket because 90% of them were good to go and she had no trouble leaving behind the green ones.  We went down 1/3 of a row before we had 3 overflowing ice cream sized buckets full of these red beauties.

 We might have sampled a few along the way too.


 After Nadia had filled her bucket, she decided to be the photographer.  She seemed to have a propensity towards taking pictures of people bending over while they were picking strawberries.  I edited most of those out.  :)


At some point, she decided it wasn't fun anymore.  Probably when I took away the camera.  Or when she rightfully decided three buckets was more than we would ever need.

In the following three days we made 24 jars of canned jam, 10 cans of freezer jam (including one big tub full that I had no more jars for), strawberry milkshakes, strawberry waffles, and we still had one big bucket left over that I just froze as is.  I've never canned before, so I was kind of proud of myself for figuring it out on the first try.  And I'm starting to see that if I get serious about canning my produce from the garden, I'm going to have to come up with some good storage solutions!  Also, I might need to find someone willing to clean up after me when I'm done.  It took 3 cleanings of the kitchen to get it back to normal when I was done.
Oh, and it tastes divine!

No comments: