Sunday, August 12, 2012

180 Degrees

A lot has been going on here and I'm falling way behind.  Soon Grandma Dorothy will be gone, school will start, and I will have copious amounts of time to blog... right?  Rather than try to catalogue the past two months, here's a quick update of what's going on right now.

ELSA


It's been a long road with this little one.  Or rather a short one where a lot of screaming makes it seem like a long one.  We tried just about everything to make Elsa a happy baby.  I went dairy-free, tried reflux medication, everything and anything to help her to be content, but with little success.  Then I went to the doctor and they told me she was in the 90th percentile for height and combined with her weight, she was lagging in the 5th percentile.  The doctor didn't seem to think that was an issue and so we didn't do anything about it.  With my mom in town, I pumped a few bottles so we could do a few outings baby free.  She still nursed fine, but we noted a few times where when she seemed inconsolable, a bottle would soothe her.  I also noticed that she started to nurse less and less.  One day she would only nurse for 5 minutes max and seemed to be getting worse.  After 2.5 months of exclusively breastfeeding with the odd bottle here and there, we've started bottles and pumping.  Elsa has changed into a completely different baby as a result.  She's happy, I can put her down and she doesn't scream, she sleeps better during the day- all in all it's like someone turned the lights on.  I really wanted to make breastfeeding work, but I've come to the conclusion after 3 kids that something is wrong with my body and if I can rectify that by pumping then I really don't need to beat myself up about it.  The most important thing is that my child is happy.  Our new motto could be "when baby is happy, everyone is happy."  I'm so thankful that she is better and that I can finally get to know her beyond just trying to soothe her.



Elsa LOVES her thumb.  Not such a fan of the binkie unlike her predecessors.

I bought this obnoxiously cute bathing suit at a yard sale and couldn't pass up the photo op, even if all she ended up doing was dipping her toes in at the pool.
If anyone should have juicy written on their bottom... yes, this is the obnoxiously cute part.



Elsa isn't always so sure about her siblings adoration.
  
But sometimes she obviously loves it



We had to upgrade to 3-6 month clothes at 2 months.  Not as bad as Rowan who outgrew his 0-3 month at only one month old. 


NADIA
Nadia's become quite the firecracker.  She is super loving to Elsa and is quite a mommy's girl.  Considering how she never wanted to snuggle much as a baby, I'm admittedly loving her incessant kisses and hugs.  But I've noticed that she likes to push boundaries, especially with the family we've had over the summer.  I don't know why, but she's given Aunt Chandra and Grandma Dorothy a run for their money while they were here.

For instance, one day she was sitting by Elsa and she looked at Grandma and said "Elsa likes to look at Mommy, Daddy, Rowan and me.  And that's it."

Coming home from the car
Grandma: "Nadia, carry in your bag"
Nadia: "No!"
Grandma: "Then I guess I get to keep your bag"
Nadia holding Grandma's iPhone: "Then I'm going to keep your phone"

Me:  "Give Grandma a hug goodnight."
Nadia:  "No!"
Grandma: "I guess you don't like going shopping with me then."
Nadia: "I like toys..."

During wrestling with Grandma (or Grandpa Luke for that matter) Rowan always cries out for Nadia to come help him.  Nadia is only to happy to fight Rowan's battles for him.  She has also learned to write her name and is miles ahead of where Rowan was at her age when it comes to writing and knowing her letters.  We're starting her in preschool three times a week this year and I'm hoping she'll make some new friends there and enjoy having an experience that is solely hers.

ROWAN


An added bonus to bottle feeding- everyone gets to join in on the fun.




Rowan is excited to be starting school next week, which is a relief since he was getting pretty burned out on school just a few months ago.  It's funny to hear him take such pride in being a 1st grader and the privileges that entails.  Now he gets to go to the big playground and do other cool things.  I haven't really tried to get him to continue working on academics over the summer, which is probably for the best since he was so tired of it all by the time kindergarten let out.  But he has become a voracious reader and has been enjoying all sorts of good books over the summer.  He discovered Steve's Calvin and Hobbs collection and has read most of them.  He also has been enjoying some of Steven's old books that Grandma Luke brought with her when they visited us.  It's kind of crazy to me to see my little 6 year old reading War of the Worlds and The Time Machine.  I love that he enjoys reading so much.  He is also super loving to Elsa and can get some great smiles out of her.

Steve and Elsa having quality time together.  :)





2 comments:

Katie said...

I'm so glad you figured out what makes Elsa happy!! And I can't believe school is already starting!

Jessica Bybee said...

So glad that Elsa is a happy baby for you!!!! Nursing is only worth it if your baby is happy! Good job! That is so cool that Rowan loves to read that much!