Friday, April 18, 2008

The Aftermath...

We had an earthquake this morning and I wanted to take some pictures to capture the damage we experienced.


Trucks were overturned.




Rocks broke from the ground, exploding into the air and landing everywhere.



Seasonal equipment was ripped from storage facilities, littering the fields and roads.



Trash was everywhere! Clean-up crews are pretty overwhelmed.




I managed to capture the epicenter of the earthquake with this picture. It's pretty disturbing, especially if you have something against McDonalds.




In all seriousness, we did experience an earthquake around 4am. I guess experience is not really the right word. Rowan woke up at midnight and 1:45am screaming his head off. I'm starting to wonder if kids are like animals and can sense/be spooked by incoming natural disasters. Needless to say it was not a fun night for us, especially since Rowan ended up sleeping with us. I vaguely remember waking up to shaking but my memory's pretty distorted. I guess an earthquake couldn't even wake us up. To be fair, hubbie remembers the house shaking and our lamp rattling, but he was too tired to do anything about it. I feel really safe right now.

3 comments:

The Walch Family said...

Scary. Are earthquakes fairly common in Illinois? I think that's the cutest earthquake epicenter I've ever seen. (And McDonald's isn't really my favorite, but that doesn't even dampen the cuteness.)

Bleen said...

This is the first I've heard of it. Tornadoes yes, earthquakes not so much. It's really strange.

The Walch Family said...

Oh, I was going to also say: When I started teaching Special Education everyone told me to watch out for weather changes or the full moon. I kind of laughed it off, but after not too long I was a believer. The behavior of the children would change (and not for the better) around the full moon and upcoming weather changes. (Right before the weather changed.) I imagine young children and those like my students are somehow succeptable to these changes. In fact, the health of the little twins I worked with declined every time it rained or snowed. Something with the barometric pressure contributed to it. Anyway, I guess I'm trying to say it's possible Rowan was affected by it. (I'm not sure how coherent that statement was. I just got done babysitting the two neighbor girls. They have lots of energy.)