
It was General Conference weekend and we spent most of it bumming around the house while we listened to conference on the Internet. The weather has been gorgeous so hubbie took out our very first tent and went camping with Rowan in the backyard. Baby steps in preparation for our "Surviorman" trips.
Upon leaving the tent for a while with the door open Rowan was dismayed to find bugs inside. I thought we were in the clear as far as insects go after observing scads of dead worms on our pavement which were seeking relief from our fabulous AstroTurf. I guess the worms didn't share our enthusiasm for low-maintenance landscaping but the ants and various other creepy crawlies give it several thumbs (antennae etc) up.
FLASHBACK WARNING
This tent actually holds a lot of memories for us. Namely being squashed while we travelled cross country in KOA campgrounds to get to our now beloved hometown. When we decided to move out to "Middle America" (yes it is a Counting Crows reference) we, with the help of hubbie's family, packed up our cars until we could not see out of any windows and then proceeded to strap our remaining possessions onto the top of my car. These items were secured from falling off, unlike one of the U-Hauls we encountered on the road which proceeded to throw a queen sized bed our way. However they were not secure enough to negate the need for a watchful eye. Also we were (and still are) cheap. So we stayed at various KOAs after driving 8 hour days and were rewarded with hot showers, bumpy grounds and questionable neighbors. Did I also mentioned we moved in August and I was the lucky one who got to drive the car without air-conditioning? Hubbie wasn't blessed with the ability to drive a stick shift. The weather was so hot I ended up driving with a bag of ice in my lap. So that's our trip down memory lane for today- hope you all are enjoying good weather as well!
3 comments:
So Rowan doesn't like bugs? That could be very good for you. Maybe you won't have to be one of those mothers who finds bugs/reptiles/rodents in pockets, bags, and the like. =) That's fun to "camp" in your backyard. We plan on doing that when Isabelle gets a bit older. (Especially since I'm terrified to go actual camping here in Utah. Last summer a few people who hauled out of their tents and mauled by bears.)
Isabelle thought it was a great idea, too. She had to make a comment too:
d c n vhgg bnt
Too cute. I'm happy about your Counting Crows reference- I had wondered. They are my very favorite. Thanks again for the tomato cages!
fun! backyard camping is the best!
in reply to your previous comment, yeah, I'm kind of an anti gamer. I made Scott get rid of his other computer games and such and told him if he did so, he could get a wii.
luckily he doesn't have much time to play since he's still getting through school.
Post a Comment