
Thank goodness it wasn't me! We had an eventful or uneventful birthday, depending on how you look at it. Steve's not a big fan of cake, so I made cream puffs. I was expecting it to be a lot more complicated than it was. The most difficult part was putting the cream in the puff. I tried to find a icing thing (the fact that I don't know what they are called didn't help me) at the local Walmart to no avail. So I bought a empty dispenser for condiments thinking that would squirt the cream inside. Too bad the cream is the consistency of lead, or maybe that would've worked. Anyways after a lot of trial and error I ended up just cutting the puffs in half and spooning the cream in. SO. MUCH. EASIER. Why in the world they suggest squeezing the cream in through a tiny hole is beyond me. It's like trying to put me in size 0 pants. Granted I didn't have the right tools though.


Anyways we bought some books for Steve and ended up taking only one of them back. Apparently Stephen Colbert is not a big fan of Mormons or religion in general, so don't buy his book if you don't appreciate that sort of thing. We enjoy his commentaries even if some of them are on the edge, but the book was kind of a disappointment.

So that was it. Fajitas (I have a great recipe if you are interested), cream puffs, and books. Nothing over the top, but we enjoyed ourselves all the same. It took an entire morning to get the kitchen up to speed the next day, but the food was definitely worth it.
Rowan liked the cream puffs because of the "ice cream inside" and the "dirt" on top. When I told him it was chocolate, he said "Yeah DIRTY chocolate!" Pretty cute.
Happy Birthday Honey!! We are so blessed to have such an involved and loving husband and father. We love you!
5 comments:
next time try a syringe of sorts, i have a meat marinade injector (again it looks like a needle for an elephant)randy got it for me, never have used it but i think it would have worked great!
Happy Birthday, Steven! Cream puffs are my favorite, although there's a little cream puff controversy in my home. I think they're just fine with chocolate on top (although I call those eclairs- though I don't really know), but I feel that the chocolate kind of ruins the perfection of the cream puff. It's like dipping strawberries in chocolate- it tastes fine but it ruins the absolute perfection of the strawberry. Nathan, on the other hand, believes that everything is better with chocolate. He would have LOVED your cream puffs. I typically just cut the cream puffs in half, too.
Just the fact that you made cream puffs - even if you had to cut them in half to get the cream in - is amazing! And you're right - they'd probably have to cut me in half to get me into size 0 pants, too!
Use a freezer bag and cut a hole as big as you want it (you can even zigzag it for extra awsomeness) in one corner. Voila- pastry bag!
Yeah I tried the ziplock bag. The problem with that is the exit point was too floppy to remain in the hole of the cream puff. PASTRY BAG- that's what those infernal things are called! lol
Post a Comment