Sunday, August 24, 2008

Whirlwind

This week has been an absolute whirlwind. Here's the reader's digest version:

I started a very temporary full-time job watching the boys I nannied way back in the day.

We said our goodbyes to Grandma after a fun-filled summer.s

We sold our car- Goodbye Old Blue! Thanks for all the good times and broken parts!

I started my last two classes at community college and finished my last Independent Study course with the exception of taking the final.

I attempted to keep the house clean and feed the family through all of this craziness and failed miserably. Gotta love frozen burritos!

It doesn't look like all that much when you write it down, but I feel like my sanity left me several times this week. Luckily Steven wasn't at school yet and was able to help me more than usual (he really makes a mean frozen burrito!)

My last two classes to close off what amounts to a 10 year long bachelor's degree are Intro to Anthropology and Art History. When I was deciding what courses to choose, I mentioned Anthropology to Steve and he gave a very positive review of that class when he took it at BYU. After reading the first chapter in my book I discovered Anthropology at BYU and Anthropology outside of Happy Valley are two different things.

Anthropology at BYU- Our Divine Origins


Anthropology outside of Happy Valley- You evolved from scum and Curious George is your cousin


So obviously the first chapter of my textbook was about evolution, something Steve's class never touched on. It sure would be nice if it was coined as a theory and not reality.  Beyond the insistent language, it was half interesting until we got into the rationalizations of behaviors that clearly went outside of my religious beliefs.  I have a bit of a problem with the idea that "you and me baby ain't nothing but mammals..." Steve astutely noted that animals also kill their sick and the weak, but you don't see us perusing the local rest homes looking for dinner (unless you really have a thing for jello and pudding). There's a lot of things that go on in the natural world that would create a horrific society if we followed in the footsteps of our furry friends, but somehow those behaviors aren't relevant because they can't be used to support a certain cause.

Steven suggested I look beyond the first chapter so I didn't get so hung up on such a small section of the class. This is what I found:



It's going to be a fun four months. But it isn't a total loss. I read this little gem this week: "Urban women in the United States who were not working for wages outside their homes put 55 hours a week into their housework- this despite all the "labor-saving" dishwashers, washing machines, clothes dryers, vacuum cleaners, food processors, and microwave ovens; in contrast, aboriginal women in Australia devoted 20 hours a week to their chores." I guess my theories about camping are right. Too bad I love my air conditioning more than I love not dusting.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Holy crap. The evolution of the potato - freaking HILARIOUS!

Good luck with your classes!

Janna said...

I can tell that this post is going to be the highlight of my day. Also, am I lazy? I'm happy to know that I draw my housework inspirations from the admirable aboriginals.

vesta said...

55 hours of housework a week? dang....i love your potato evolution. I think you should do a paper on it.