Tuesday, June 23, 2009

It's all about the kids

This past weekend we were up in Chicago visiting with our good friends, the Bybees, and picking up Aunt Chandra from the airport. Both Aunt Chandra and Grandma Dorothy will be staying over the summer (the joys of being a teacher) and we could not be more excited. Literally every other word out of #1's mouth is "Aunt Chandra!" We're glad we got a sublet for them, otherwise we'd be facing some serious kid burnout.

Kid Update

#1

#1 just went to check out his preschool for the fall with me this morning. I'm so excited for him to get more group interaction, which I think will be really good for him. This past Sunday, they were playing a "Squash the Bug" game where the kids could come up and punch through a paper bug to get instructions from a little paper note on the other side. #1 really wanted to be picked and was excited when it was his turn. He wound up ready to strike when the teacher told him "Not too hard now." For some reason, #1 completely crumbled and ran back to me crying and even refused to do it when the teacher tried to give him a second chance. Granted he hadn't gotten a lot of sleep the night before because we had been getting back from the airport with Chandra, but still I think this is an area where preschool could help. He also tends to be intimidated by large groups. Hopefully, more exposure to correction and competition will help him overcome his fears. It helps that a lot of kids he already knows will be in the same preschool as him too. He didn't want to leave from there this morning, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

He is getting much better at standing up for himself though. The other day we were on the playground with one of his friends and #1 went down the slide when his friend didn't want him too. His friend began to yell at him and I prepared myself for a meltdown where I'd end up intervening. I was surprised instead to see #1 hold his ground and yell back at his friend without crying. I know this sounds strange- most people would think I'm encouraging misbehavior, but I'd rather have my son learn to work out his own problems than come crying to me every time something goes wrong. He didn't hit or insult and with a little adjustment on the volume, he's well on his way.

Some #1isms:

Aunt Chandra was playing "red light, green light" with #1 and explaining the rules.

C: When I say red light, you freeze!
#1: But Aunt Chandra, I don't like to freeze- I want to stop instead.

Talking about life after death
#1: I don't want to go to heaven!
Me: Why not?
#1: Because then I'll fall down, down, DOWN!!" (I don't remember mentioning heaven as being upwards oddly)

#1: I want to go to Grandma and Grandpa's house! (a common complaint)
Me: Honey, riding an airplane costs a lot of money so it's something that we don't get to do very often.
#1: Well, what if we take a jet instead? (Apparently airplanes and jets are two very different things)
Me: That'd probably cost more than an airplane.
#1: *thinking* Well, maybe we could take a hangglider.

Baby N

I've decided babies should come out at 6 months old. If it weren't for the size issue (I'd be having a 20 pound newborn at this point), I would totally be campaigning to Heavenly Father about it. Newborns are exhausting! I finally feel sane since N is sleeping through the night and by that, I mean more than 5 hours in a row. Seriously, whoever said that a baby is considered as sleeping through the night when they hit 5 hour intervals has obviously never met me after 5 hours of sleep. N is adorable at this stage. Such a happy, content baby- she reminds me a lot of #1 as a baby. She's been rolling for a while now and has just started getting up on her knees and rocking. She's ready to go and even is doing some backward scooting! We all can't stop kissing her. The only things she has shown a dislike for are pack and plays and rice cereal. She won't sleep in them to save her life and I'm thinking she's going to end up like #1 as far as food preferences. #1 started out on licorice (blame Grandma D) and bananas. She's definitely interested in food though as evidenced by sticking her hand in a bowl of cocktail sauce and a lemon meringue pie the other day. A girl after my own heart.

1 comment:

Amber said...

It looks like you guys are having a blast this summer! I'm super jealous of your new table - it is BEAUTIFUL!! What a great find!
I'm with you on the babies coming out a little older, except I'd prefer about 15 months. I'm really not a baby person and I'm already getting nervous about how on earth I'm supposed to go through it again.
How fun that you get to spend so much time with family!
My kids are now dumping out a HUGE box of legos all over the floor... maybe babies are better.....