I swore off swimming lessons this summer. It would have been too much of a hassle to drag the older kids to the pool and try to prevent the younger two jumping in water trying to drown themselves. Not to mention driving there and possibly interrupting nap time. Everything seems so complicated with 4 kids!
Then I was talking to a friend and I found out a neighbor who is in another ward gives swimming lessons a block away from my house! I could drop them off and pick them up so that I wouldn't have to bring the whole crew there. So I called the lady up and there was a slot available where I could have both Rowan and Nadia take their lessons at the same time. She even offered to have Elsa come try to have lessons with them. How ideal! We signed up immediately and happily discovered that my mom would be here for the 2 weeks they would take lessons so I could even go and watch. I really appreciate moments like this, where what seems impossible suddenly comes together.
Well, we all went for the first day and it went great until Elsa decided she wanted the pink floatie board. There was no convincing her otherwise. The lady kept asking her "Why are you crying??" and I thought to myself I'd been asking myself that very question for the past 3 years. Needless to say, hers was a short career in swimming. Maybe next year sweetie.
It still turned out to be a really ideal scenario. The younger two stayed home with my mom while I took Rowan and Nadia and got to visit with friends while they did their lessons. I probably got the better end of that deal, but I truly appreciate my mom's help. It has been such a relief over the summer to have help with the kids!
Nadia is such a little fish. I'm amazed at how happy she is under the water.
Rowan has improved so much this year. He's at the point now where he is fully swimming front and back and is completely at ease in the water.
Despite being unable to get Elsa to engage in swim lessons, our new instructor and her son were fabulous! She did such a good job encouraging and getting them to try new things. I'm looking forward to next summer's lessons.
No comments:
Post a Comment