Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Tractors on the brain...



I got honked at yesterday, and not in a good way (those days, if they ever existed in the first place, seem to be behind me). As I was reaching to get something for Rowan, apparently I was also veering into the other lane. I don't know about the general population, but it seems that I have become a worse driver since becoming a mother. For those who knew me back in high school, yes I was a bad driver back then but at least it was deliberate.
The worst distraction lately is due to my son's obsession with tractors. Sometimes in the church you'll hear stories about the pioneers crossing the plains and how, at particularly desperate times, they would look at a rock in the distance and make a goal that essentially went "I'll walk to that rock, then I'll give up and die" repeating the goal over and over until hopefully they arrived at their ultimate destination. Sometimes I feel that way in car trips with Rowan, only the rocks are tractors, the dangers of death are due to me pointing out the tractors, and I only feel like I'm going to die if I don't find some more tractors to soothe my fussy 2-year-old who hates being in the car. I find that there are times when I look more at the construction sites we pass, than at the road. This continues even when Rowan is not in the car- "Wow, a grader and a skid steer- what a score- too bad Rowan's not here." It's a dangerous game of hopscotch that really just needs to end. But honestly how do you concentrate on the road when your child can reach octaves you never knew existed? I think I just scared the grandparents - I'll try to do better!

3 comments:

Janna said...

It's really a shame aubrey isn't crazy about tractors, because we don't seem to see many out here. There are, however, lots of birds. "Look Aubrey, can you imagine? Another bird!" That's why we strap them in the carseat version of a tank, right?

Dan said...

Angela pointed me to your blog.

Rowan sure is cute. It was fun finding out about the tractors. I'll probably be looking for some today.

It sure was nice to see you guys a few months ago. The pictures on your blog were fun to see. Come see us again sometime.

Talk to you later.

Katie said...

Umm - yeah. I wrecked our van into a parked car while turning around to check on the kids. Not my best moment.