Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It was bound to happen...



Perhaps I shouldn't be so dramatic about it because Rowan hasn't completely shunned tractors, but he definitely has a new love. Volcanoes or rather "Polcanoes." You know it's serious when his bedtime request for a "blue front loader story" has morphed into "tell me a big, big, big, BIG polcano story." I have to say I'm missing the blue front loader days. There's only so much you can do in a volcano story- it's big and it erupts at the end. After a while, it gets a little monotonous, but I'm so happy to find new materials at the library that do not center around things with tools and wheels. He seems to have picked it up from some picture he got at A&W which had dinosaurs and a volcano in the background. Apparently the tractors didn't stand a chance either. However they do have one advantage and that is market saturation. It's not like I can drive around and say "Look Rowan, a really big volcano!" so it's probably still safe to say tractors are here to stay (I've never seen a volcano toy either now that I think about it). If this obsession continues, I'll have a really fun birthday cake to play around with come Rowan's birthday if I'm not erupting myself by then.

4 comments:

vesta said...

just don't show him what baking soda and vinegar can do.....i remember darren trying that experiment in a small bottle. blew up all over the kitchen. hee hee

The Walch Family said...

Volcanoes are easier to draw than tractors, though. That may be the only thing going for them over tractors. (Or Polcanoes are easier to draw.) I saw a cake book once that showed you how to make cakes that "do" something. Nathan says he has the book somewhere. There was a volcano cake that actually "exploded" frosting or something. If Rowan's still interested in polcanoes by his birthday, we might have to find that recipe. (Though you're going to be a bit occupied with a cute little girl around that time.)

Katie said...

I was going to say the same thing as Vesta - you could make your own placano, but it would be a big, big, big, BIG palcano mess!

Janna said...

When I read the word monotonous, I thought it was mountainous, and I had to agree.

Cute kid.