Sunday, November 8, 2009

Life is Beautiful

It was a good weekend. I've been trying to get my cleaning done before Saturday so that we can spend that day doing things other than the general upkeep of our home. Last month in Primary we focused on the Proclamation to the Family and how following the principles therein can strengthen our family. I realized that my family hasn't been united in work and "wholesome family recreation" as much as we could be. As we have attempted to change that, our Saturdays have been much more enjoyable and productive as a result. Last Saturday we focused on our 72 hour kit and getting it updated. The Saturday before that we went bowling and carved jack-o-lanterns. This Saturday we installed cabinet locks and went running at one of our favorite parks. I'm getting closer to my goal of running a mile- I just hope the good weather holds on long enough for me to get there. I love running with S as it turns out. I don't think I could do this with anyone else. I would feel too vulnerable and embarrassed. The beauty of running with S is that he has already seen me at my worst and I completely trust him. He is encouraging and we are in it together- it really has united us.

The kids have done some cute things together this week. I've found myself analyzing baby N more than usual this week to try and understand her temperament and personality a little better. I've come to the sad realization that she is not a snuggler. The only time I can hold her longer than 10 seconds is when I feed her her bottle or when she is really sick. Otherwise she has no patience for being held and wants to be on the move. Considering the fact that she started walking before she was even 10 months, I shouldn't be that surprised. I feel like I don't even have a baby anymore. The desire to move, act, and explore influences her in everything she does. Reading books is not fun unless she is in charge of turning the pages and she enjoys that aspect more than looking at the contents of the pages. She loves to dance to music and may be the musical one in the family- she sings to herself a lot. Despite the fact that she has to experience things firsthand, she still exhibits a bit of the cautious nature we've come to appreciate in #1. She will make sure you notice her before she makes a break for the stairs. But she has no stranger anxiety and stays where the action is. She is like the most adorable kitten that you want to hold and kiss all day, but who had no patience and too much energy to stay still. I'm hoping she'll grow out of it, like most cats do. I'm completely in love with her.



She's learned that my phone can play music and she'll often grab it and start dancing, I think to imply that she wants me to turn the music on.



#1 has been doing great at preschool and has really tapped into his creative side lately. His latest thing is to create things using paper, scissors, tape, and anything else he can find. A lot of times these creations are labelled as robots. It reminds me a lot of me when I was a kid. Having a crafty mom, I was always trying to imitate that- in particular I remember making toilet roll dolls and sewing clothes for my Barbies. My mom wasn't typically thrilled about the latter because I would usually take several yards of fabric and cut what I needed out of the center of the cloth. Sometimes I would use the sewing machine, but I do remember several outfits were pieced together with elastic bands. Anyways it's been fun to watch this side of #1 come out.

Behold the Paddleship- not to be confused with the Battleship




This weekend in particular I have felt such immense love and gratitude for my husband and my children. I don't know why I have been so blessed to find a partner who is everything I need and more. I take it as a testament that my Heavenly Father loves me and knows that I needed him more than I've ever needed anything else. Life is beautiful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really appreciated this post. Being grateful is something that I need to remember, especially at this point in my life.

I'm glad that you're enjoying running. I started running with my dad and I don't think I would have progressed if I started on my own or with anyone else. While it's initially uncomfortable and you think that everyone is watching, in the end I feel it is very empowering.

One more thing, #1's hair looks really good.

The Walch Family said...

Your description of baby N sounds just like my daughter- except for the cautious part. My daughter is not cautious. Isabelle is on the go all the time and has never been a cuddler. Lately, though, she wants to cuddle after she gets out of the bath when she's all wrapped up in her towel. I love those moments, but she wants to cuddle for hours afterwards and most times we don't have that kind of cuddle time. Maybe baby N will develop a habit like that later and you'll actually be able to cuddle with your child. It's definitely a first for me.

The Walch Family said...

Oh. and how baby N likes to "read" books- just like my child. Most times Isabelle has to hold the books and turn the pages. Lately, though, she's starting to let me actually read to her occasionally. These girls like to be in control, don't they?