Sunday, June 20, 2010

There's No Place Like Grandma and Grandpa's House

It's Father's Day. Instead of having attention lavished upon him, my husband got to take care of our kids while I spend the afternoon lying on the bathroom floor moaning and retching. And he didn't hold it against me- a true sign of a fantastic spouse. I'm not sure what to blame for my onslaught of nausea, (no, I am definitely not pregnant) but it really had poor timing. We still got to open presents- he got an angle grinder and some Soviet Leader nesting dolls just for fun that I had got at a garage sale the day before. But I wish the day could have been more about him.
Steven is everything that I wanted that I never had. I'll never let my children forget how blessed they are to have him in their lives.

Speaking of great fathers...

and great mothers...



I haven't blogged about our trip to Idaho yet! Despite setbacks with weather, (it was cold and raining most of the time we were there) and an unfortunate bout of stomach flu, we had a wonderful time. Let's just say that one day I hope to have a home as warm and comfortable as Steve's parents' home is. To see your kids absolutely saturated in love is a beautiful thing.

When the weather was agreeable, Nadia and Rowan were outside constantly. "A big backyard" has now replaced "laundry chute" as Rowan's top things he wants when we get a house. We readily agree with him.


Nadia plays a great game of fetch

I wish I would have gotten a video of when Steve and Grandpa tag teamed each with the kids. This video will make Nadia laugh everytime though.



The day after we arrived, it was Steven's birthday. We made the traditional cream puffs and got our wiggles out after being in the car for 2 days.



A few days later we headed out to Twin Falls to see the sights and do a little shopping. A friend of mine told me a while ago that her outdoorsy husband loves Idaho. I kind of gave her an incredulous look and said "really?" I get it now after seeing Twin Falls and remembering a previous excursion to the Shoshone Falls nearby. I've forgotten the raw beauty of nature after living in corn fields for the past seven years. It took my breath away.




While we were there, we got to see some base jumpers going off the bridge. This video is of a guy who really knew what he was doing. A couple of others were not so smooth on their execution and I literally yelped several times. I used to think I would like to base jump...I'm not so sure anymore. I wonder if it would be as thrilling to do something like this in heaven when there's no risk involved. :)


On the rainy days, Rowan entertained himself with building forts and tying up Grandma and Grandpa's living room like a spider web with string. Give this kid a ball of yarn and he's entertained for a good hour. Sure, it will take you at least that long to get your house looking normal again, but I love his interest in building and creating. Plus the time I have to get other things done isn't so bad either.


Aunt Chandra dropped in for a few days before we left for Utah. Unfortunately she spent one of those days sick, either with our stomach flu germs or something else, but her and the kids still got in plenty of bonding time. Rowan has told me on several occasions that he misses Aunt Chandra. Perhaps it was the mutual interest in Scooby Doo computer games...

(Sorry Chand, it was the only picture I had of you!)

Steve and his dad also got to get some shooting in one afternoon. One nice thing about driving is you can take back more than you came with, provided you have the space. Steve brought back 4 guns which we have locks on and are safely tucked away. I wouldn't call myself a gun enthusiast, but I like knowing that we have something we can use if we were ever in need of defending ourselves.

It was a great trip! Despite the travel involved, I came back refreshed and renewed. Life has been nonstop since we got back and some days we are literally going from activity to activity, but things are slowing down now. That is until Grandma Dorothy comes in a week and a half. Gotta love the summer!

No comments: