Sunday, June 20, 2010

Utah

The last 2 days of our trip, we headed over to Utah to visit with both Steve's sister and my sister. The beauty of Utah is you can always get a couple visits with loved ones in there. Unfortunately, because it was a bit of a whirlwind trip, I didn't get many pictures. I seemed to have made an exception in the case of food though. I've been wanting for a while to try The Sweet Tooth Fairy bakery, which is known for great cupcakes. Rowan and I made a quick pit stop.



The Verdict? They were good, but my friend Julie makes better ones. I should have followed the clerk's suggestions perhaps, but all in all I'm glad we went.

When I went to visit my sister in Salt Lake, I suggested we go to Les Madelines and try out their Kouing-amans. These were featured on "The Best Salty Thing I've Ever Ate" on the Food Network and I really wanted to try them. Everything else featured on the show originated in New York, so I was excited to be so close to one of these places. Anyways, Vesta was willing to take me, so we loaded up the kids, did a quick stop to pick up the pastries and headed over to McDonalds so the kids could have some ice cream while I indulged myself. Vesta is on a no sugar diet, so she missed out.


Rowan managed this shot. Not the greatest, but my sis and I haven't had a picture together in years.

The Verdict? Good. Really good. Would be phenomenal when they first come out of the oven. The caramelized exterior was a little too crunchy and they were NOT salty. But I was very happy in the end.

The kids liked their ice cream too.



The only shot I managed at Steve's sister's place was this one. Rowan was pushing Isabelle on her swing- super cute.


All in all, it was great visit. I did not miss Utah drivers, but I surprised myself by thinking it wouldn't be so bad to move back there. My good memories are overcoming the bad ones and it was fun to show Rowan where I used to go camping almost every weekend in the summer and where "mommy and daddy met". I still like living where ward members are very dependent on each other, but Utah has a lot to offer. We'll see where we end up in a year, but this state seems to be creeping off the "no way" list.

No comments: