Sunday, June 13, 2010

Turning Lemons into Lemonade

What's that? It's June? And I only posted once in May? Good grief I have a lot of catching up to do.

Before May ended we got a chance to go to a local event called Touch-A-Truck hosted by the park district. We've never been able to go before because we usually are on vacation during that time. Essentially think of every vehicle of interest to boys and you have a pretty good idea of what was there to explore and look at. Rowan was into it at first and then had a couple bad experiences with kids budding in front of him. After a while he started to shy away when it came to his turn to get behind the wheel of the trucks. The final straw came when we had stood in line for 15 minutes to get into the bounce house and once it was Rowan's turn he wouldn't go. We left for home, hot and frustrated, while Rowan cried. It was pretty heart-breaking. As we were about to get home, Steve took pity on him so they dropped Nadia and I off and went back to the park. Rowan did a 180 and went to every truck in the place. I know it may sound like a little thing, but I was so proud of Rowan for facing his fears and Steven for wanting to help Rowan rather than just being frustrated with him. He understood where Rowan was coming from and decided to spend the day helping him instead of going back to work. I'm starting to come to terms that Rowan will always need a warming up period when he's put into new and sometimes intimidating situations. He's always been a cautious child and that has more often proved to be a good thing rather than a bad thing. I truly love everything about that kid.

I'm so grateful for a husband who continually turns bad experiences into good ones.




Catch-up posts to follow!

1 comment:

Katie Kerr Wrede said...

Cute! Loved your April 25 (I think that's the right date) post as well, very insightful and thought provoking. xoxo