Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Thunder, Flash Flood and Torando Warnings.... Oh my!

Last night was some of the worst weather I've ever seen. Of course it had been raining hard all day, but things got interesting later on. It all started around 9:30pm when the tornado sirens went off. We turned on the TV and woke up our poor sleeping boy so we could all hide out in the bathroom. The sirens continued for a while so we got a couch cushion for Rowan to lay down on. I have a few complaints about where we live, but not many. After last night I have one more- no basement. If we had to stay in that bathroom for any extended amount of time I think I'd lose it. And I was lucky enough to have somewhere to sit even if it was the toilet- poor Steve got the floor. Camping out in a basement all night would have been so much better.

After the sirens stopped and the tornado warning was no longer in effect we decided to go to bed. We trudged upstairs, put Rowan in his bed and hoped if there was another siren we would wake up enough to hear it. I don't know if we could have heard it, even if we wanted to. Seriously it was as if there was a strobe light and a heavy metal band outside our window. I've never seen the sky so lit up; the thunder was shaking our walls. We couldn't sleep so we decided to go get some munchies downstairs. Rowan hadn't been making a peep so I figured he had miraculously fallen asleep. I peeked in before we went downstairs and Rowan was sitting up in his bed with the most petrified look I've ever seen. He was frozen with fear. Once he saw me he started to cry and point at his window which was flashing like there was a close encounter outside or something. Poor kid. We all went downstairs and pigged out on ice cream until the storm passed. By then we were so exhausted, we all crashed in our bed and put Rowan in his own room after he had fallen asleep. Then another storm came in, but luckily this time he stayed asleep. I turned on the TV and they were
announcing flash flood warnings. I think it's time to go back to Canada.

See video #8

1 comment:

tweedlediva said...

Good to know we weren't the only people camped out in our bathroom last night. We were worried that we were over-reacting. Lovely times- 2 more days of it, sounds like.