Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I love to see the temple



For family home evening yesterday, we packed a picnic dinner and went to see the temple. Steve and I have yet to attend a session here, but we were happy to first lay eyes on it as a family. It's a smaller structure, but still beautiful and we are so grateful to live nearby it.




Steve and I have been trying to make more progress on some long-standing spiritual goals. Recently, I've noticed a few of my friends fall away from the church and it's really gotten to me. It didn't help when my mom also told me that at their latest ward conference they reported that 1 in 4 LDS youth remains active and goes on to serve a mission, go to the temple etc. When I look at Rowan's Primary class I just pray that he is going to be the one who makes it. The world keeps getting worse and I find myself more concerned with protecting myself and my family by actively pursuing those things I know we should be doing. For me, I know I need to improve with daily personal scripture study. I've started using the student manual from a religion class at BYU as a companion book for the Book of Mormon and one of the first quotes I read was this: "...No member of this Church can stand approved in the presence of God who has not seriously and carefully read the Book of Mormon" -Joseph Fielding Smith

Perhaps fear shouldn't be the motivating factor in my efforts to improve, but I find the more I do what I know is right, the less I fear.

3 comments:

Amber said...

We visited Zach's sister in Georgia just before we moved from Illinois and we headed to South Carolina for the zoo and the temple. Because of the morning sickness I got to spend the session watching the four midgies in that very park. That's fun that we were in the same place even if it was two years ago for me!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comments on spirituality. It is getting scary and things are getting worse. I, myself, am not the best at scripture study but I recognize that my simple reading helps immensely.

Katie said...

It IS scary, isn't it? Life gets so busy that spiritual things get pushed to the side all too often! Thanks for the reminder. Our FHE this week consisted of going out to dinner because I was too tired to cook. :/ Welp - at least we spent some time together!