The Moving Truck
What a fiasco! I reserved a truck from Budget a month in advance and they called us 5 days before our move saying they didn't have a truck for us and couldn't fulfill our reservation. After many calls and being told to keep calling back every 2 hours, they eventually told us we were out of luck. With Budget you reserve the price, not the truck. Don't say I didn't warn you.
We ended up getting a truck through Penske and with some help from a friend I was able to get it pretty close to our original quote with Budget (thanks Tiffany!) and only a day later than we were planning on moving. We arranged for some Elder's Quorum members to come help us pack the truck at 10am. When Steve went to get the truck at 9am, they told us they didn't have it and we should call back later. By the time we got the truck 2 hours later, most of the people who could help, couldn't come anymore. I never want to move ourselves again and I hope I don't have to. Luckily some kind men came and helped us later in the day. Without them, we wouldn't have made it on the road in time and probably would have gotten caught in the rain. Thank you to all those who helped us in one way or another- watching our kids, bringing us cookies for the trip, and helping us pack up. We're sad to be leaving such great friends and support.
Steve's Travel Issues
Steve had left days before the move for a conference in Washington, D.C. He was supposed to fly in on Sunday and we were supposed to move on Monday, but things definitely did not go as planned. Steve's flight was delayed going out of Champaign and coming in. Just after he left, I ended up huddled in the downstairs bathroom with crying kids because the tornado sirens went off three times. He was scheduled to come in at 7pm on Sunday, but his flight kept getting pushed back. At 9:30pm, I offered to come rescue him by driving up to Chicago, but the flight was supposed to finally take off at 9:20pm. I went to bed with the phone and told him to call me when he got in at Champaign and I'd come pick him up. At 2am I woke up and called him. The airline finally decided to cancel the flight and so he and 9 other people ended up renting a van to drive down home. Good times. He got in at 5am. It's probably a good thing we didn't end up moving that day.
The Grandparents
Steve's parents came on Saturday to help us pack up the truck, clean, and get us to South Carolina in one piece. I cannot emphasize how much we needed them and how much I appreciate their help. By Friday the kids were going crazy and melting down. Rowan kept telling me how he didn't want to move and Nadia was beside herself with having boxes everywhere and Daddy gone. I was supposed to get the kitchen packed up before Saturday, but the kids were not cooperating with that plan. The grandparents were a much needed happy distraction for the kids and myself. We literally could not have done it without them.
Our Memorial Day was spent cleaning and packing up what I wasn't able to finish before Saturday. Kenneth and Elaine were lifesavers. They cleaned, cooked, packed, entertained, drove, and made up for everything we lacked.
The Drive
When Steve and I moved to Champaign from Provo, we had two cars filled with our worldly possessions. We've obviously upgraded in the amount of stuff we currently own. I need to downsize. But it all fit thanks to Steve and Kenneth's Tetris skills.
We managed to hit the road right before the rain hit and got as far as Louisville, KY that night. Rowan got to ride in the moving truck with Daddy and Grandma. Grandma brought huge bags full of goodies to entertain and keep the kids happy on the way down. Goodbye Champaign! Our marriage and family began here. You have been so good to us.
The second day, Grandma and I took the kids in the black car and raced to Columbia so we could get the keys to the house before the property management office closed. We cut it pretty close by arriving with only 30 minutes to spare, but we did it! Nadia had a couple of toddler moments, but overall it went well. Steve and Kenneth took their time with the truck and arrived a few hours after us.
The New Place
It might have been wishful thinking for things to go smoothly once we arrived. The house's air conditioning was not working when we arrived and in 100+ degree weather, we were none too happy. The first night here, Rowan woke up barely able to breathe apparently due to an allergic reaction. There was a dog that had lived here before us and so we got the carpets cleaned the next day in addition to getting the air conditioning serviced. Nadia still has a heat rash from that first day that we are trying multiple treatments to get rid of. Most of us can boast of mosquito bites in excess of a dozen and we're still working out some kinks in the house. Most of our first day was spent deep cleaning the house and waiting for repairs to be made so that we could finally start moving stuff in. A lot of members came to help us unload the heavy stuff and we're looking forward to getting to know them and their families. Elaine was a trooper and unpacked and deep cleaned the kitchen and Kenneth might have done 75% of the moving of boxes and furniture. Insanity.
After we finally got the air conditioning working, we experienced a true thunderstorm that knocked out the power most of the night. Ironic?
Saying Goodbye
The day before Steve's parents left, we tried to get them to rest up a little and take a break. Earlier in the day, Rowan, Grandma, and Grandpa went to the community pond a block away and saw geese, turtles, and fish while everyone else took a nap. Later we went out for some authentic Southern cuisine and drove around the area a bit. We also went to where Steve will be working for the next 2+ years.
While we walked around admiring the landscape, Rowan stuck his stick in a bench and proceeded to get his first wasp sting. Never a dull moment.
Things have calmed down since then, but there is still so much to do! I'm so excited to get things settled at home so that we can go out exploring.
Thank you again to all of you who helped us get here. You were an answer to prayers.
4 comments:
Moving is so stressful. We had 2.5 weeks from the time Bruce was offered the job to the time we were supposed to be here in Pennsylvania. Talk about stressful. I'm glad that things worked out - they usually do even though sometimes you can be doubtful. At least you didn't have to worry about ice on the roads and blizzards shutting roads down like we did when we moved in the middle of January. Hope things settle down for you a bit more. Good luck in South Carolina.
Yeah, I'm glad you made it! Even though it was more eventful than would have liked, but on the bright side, you'll probably remember it more!
They are working on your old place, and Clarissa saw a sign on the door, and for some reason she thought you guys were moving back. We sure miss your family, we are grateful for your friendship.
I'm so glad you made it... But this post did stress me out :(
Oh my!! I didn't realize you were already gone. I'm glad this ordeal is over and I hope things go more smoothly this summer. Best of luck!!
Post a Comment